Saturday, April 28, 2012

Oh Target Shoppers...

Just talked to a guy in line about smoking and drinking. He was upset that Target's policy is to swipe an ID or if you don't want to do that, you put in their birthdate and a team lead approves it.

"What a stupid system," he said
"Well at least it keeps underage kids from buying alcohol," I chime in.

Than he goes on to talk about how if kids want things, they will find a way. He grew up in Europe and smoked his first cigarette at 9 that he stole from his father's shop and started to drink at 12. I didn't say anything, but am slightly appalled. Though he looks 50 or 60 so that was a different era not to mention continent (hence only slightly appalled).
And then he asks the age for drinking here (in America).

"It's 18, right?"
"Nope. 21 to drink. 18 is for smoking and lotto cards. 21 for drinking and purchasing alcohol and gambling in Vegas," I say with a smile because I do not agree with him.

I being only 20 myself, think the drinking at 21 is a good law because we are still young and uneducated about life when we are 18 (well, most of us). I never have drank much at all and have yet to become drunk.

Anyway, I got the feeling he was an alcoholic because why else would you be buying at 12 of Corona at 10:30 at night? If it were a party, I feel he would have gotten more or hard liqueur. Not to mention his scraggly appearance and grumpy personality did not look party ready.

Or maybe he's just European.

No comments:

Post a Comment